Canonical (the company behind the Ubuntu Project) has announced today that they will be making a limited production of 40,000 phones through a 32 million dollar Indiegogo campaign. If the funding is reached, they plan to distribute the phones by May 2014. The campaign will be available for 30 days.
For one day only (July 22nd) you can pledge $600 and get the phone (expires at 1600 BST July 23rd). Afterwards, the phone will be regularly priced at $830.
UPDATE (2013-07-23): They are now doing a deal of 2 phones for $1400
UPDATE (2013-07-24): They have released their pricing model and it seems to get more expensive as the tiers increase. (Grab it while you can)
The device will be shipped dual-booting Android & Full Ubuntu OS. The plan is to have a fully functional phone and a fully functional desktop integrated into one.
The phones boast some pretty impressive specs (not to mention looking gorgeous):
- Dual boot Ubuntu mobile OS and Android
- Fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC when docked
- Fastest multi-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage
- 4.5in 1,280 x 720 HD sapphire crystal display
- 8mp low-light rear camera, 2mp front camera
- Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
- GPS, accelerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, compass, barometer
- Stereo speakers with HD audio, dual-mic recording, Active Noise Cancellation
- MHL connector, 3.5mm jack
- Silicon-anode Li-Ion battery
- 64 x 9 x 124mm
**Specifications are subject to change.